CBRM Healthcare Redevelopment
300 South Street, Glace Bay, Cape Breton
Healthcare Facility, Hospital
Opened in 1986, Glace Bay Hospital is a community healthcare facility that serves Glace Bay, Dominion, Reserve Mines, Donkin, Port Morien, and surrounding areas. The hospital currently has 44 acute care beds and 18 long-term care beds on 4North, a transitional long-term care unit.
In October 2020, the Tom Peach Renal Dialysis Clinic opened. Government invested $5.8 million in the construction of the six-unit station. The project was also funded by the estate of the late Thomas Peach of Glace Bay, who left $1.9 million to help establish dialysis services in the community.
- A new and expanded emergency department that will improve flow for staff, physicians, and patients.
- Renovations to the surgical services area to meet current and future demands.
Announced as contracts are awarded
- Renovation scope review and decision.
- Continued development of Construction Documents for General Contractor.
- Schematic Design Report received (January 2021)
- Improved access to care.
- Providing doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals with a modern place to work with advanced equipment and technology.
- Providing a modern, state-of-the-art facility to help recruit and retain healthcare professionals.
- The project will focus on a healthy indoor environment, reduced greenhouse gas emissions, and efficient use of energy, water, and other resources.